Each year, USA Rugby hosts National Championship events around the country, including the Club 7s Championship. For example, the 2011 Men’s Club 7s Championship will be held on August 20-21 at Rocca Field in San Francisco.
The top teams from each territorial union are represented at the National Championships and to qualify, teams compete in a series of tournaments in each territory. The teams that accumulate the most points during the series then compete for the national title.
Today the Midwest Rugby Football Union awarded the Milwaukee Rugby Sevens Association the right to host one of the men’s qualifiers for the Midwest territory at the 2011 Lakefront 7s.
The Milwaukee Rugby Sevens Association are honored to be able to host this event and are committed to growing and promoting rugby sevens. The complete 2011 schedule for the men’s rugby sevens qualifiers in the Midwest Territory is as follows:
- June 4th – Iowa 7s – Des Moines
- June 11th – Youngblood 7s – Youngbloods/Eastside Banshees
- June 18th – Cin City 7s – Cincinnati Wolfhounds
- June 25th – Firehouse 7s – Chicago Blaze
- June 25th – Steel City 7s – Pittsburgh RFC
- July 9th – Lakefront 7s – Milwaukee Rugby Sevens Association
- July 9th – Rock n Roll 7s – Cleveland Eastern Suburbs
- July 16th – Rock Hard 7s – Grand Rapids Gazelles
Based on this series, the Midwest RFU rugby sevens finals will be held on July 23rd in Elkhart, IN at The Moose Rugby Grounds.
In addition to hosting a men’s qualifier, we have also made the 2011 Lakefront 7s available to host a women’s qualifying bracket at the discretion of the Midwest RFU and USA Rugby (details to follow as appropriate).
To all the participants and fans who plan to attend the 2011 Lakefront 7s, we look forward to seeing you in Milwaukee!