In an unexpected move, the Wisconsin Rugby Club have announced via email that their rugby 7s tournament — the 2019 Madtown 7s — will now be held on July 13th.
Madtown 7s is typically the second tournament of the Wisconsin rugby 7s season and is held on the second week in June. The shift to July now sees it scheduled after Lionhunter 7s (see below).
The new date means that Madtown 7s is no longer competing with the Forest City 7s in nearby Rockford, IL on June 15th. Forest City 7s is a Midwest Qualifying event for the National Club 7s Championship and is likely to attract the top teams in the area.
The move to July 13th means there is no break between 7s and 10s this year with the latter beginning on July 20th with Pigfest.
Wisconsin has seen lots of changes to the 2019 summer rugby season. The Titletown 10s has been cancelled for 2019 and Lumberjack 10s is moving from Minocqua to Waukesha. Two tournaments have also announced their inaugural events for this summer: Legend 10s on July 27 and a youth tournament to be held at the Wisconsin State games in Wausau on Aug. 3.
Updated Wisconsin Summer 7s Schedule
- June 8 — Lighthouse 7s, Fond Du Lac (For details, contact Kevin Lackas.)
- June 22 — Harborfest 7s, Kenosha (For details, contact Joey Giorno.)
- June 29 — Lakefront 7s, Milwaukee (For details, contact Cathy Nirschl.)
- July 6 — Lionhunter 7s, Oconomowoc (For details, contact Mike Balda.)
- July 13 — Madtown 7s, Madison (For details, contact Zac Toman.)